As the saying goes "Beauty lies skin deep" is very much applicable in treating the facial skin to get the radiant glow. Many women face annoying situations in treating combination skin properly and often end up in adopting wrong steps leading to a damage of the facial skin.
The term combination skin can be applied to that skin condition that reflects different characteristics over a particular area, especially the face. Combination skin can be traced by the T- zone detection, which starts from the forehead running down the nose, mouth area to the chin forming a T-shaped structure. T-zone contains more oil-glands than the cheeks and tends to be oilier. This area is mostly dotted by blackheads and whiteheads while the other areas may remain normal. The problem occurs when the T-zone is too oily while the cheeks may appear very dry and flaky.
1. The first step starts with the cleansing of the skin and one should be careful in choosing the right cleanser for combination skin. A mild foaming cleanser should be used twice daily to get rid of the excess oil. Washing face too often robs the moisture from the non-oily parts and lead to dryness of the skin. Using bar soaps must be strictly avoided as these are harsh for the facial skin.
2. Exfoliation must be considered into weekly skin care routine that creates a lot of difference in the skin quality. Facial scrubs with tiny grains are good as they remove the layer of dead cells bringing out the natural glow of the skin and one should place extra effort in scrubbing the T-zone.
3. While toning the skin, the toner should be applied more on the T-zone area than the other areas. If the T-zone produces more oil due to stress, one can easily remove the oil only from that zone with cotton dabbed with toner. One can also use two different types of toner for the different areas; the stronger astringent for the T-zone and the milder one for the other areas.
4. Moisturizing the combination skin is no easy task as lot depends on the nature of the moisturizer. It is advisable to use a light based moisturizer and apply it less on the T-zone. A rich night cream can be used to moisturize the cheeks with little application on the T-zone.
5. One can use different facial masks on the face than applying a single one. Using a moisturizing mask on the cheeks and a clay mask on the T-zone can well serve the purpose of the combination skin.