Hair loss or Alopecia is a common problem in men and women today. We all know how much hair adds to our beauty. Therefore hair fall is often a constant source of agony for people. Loss of hair may cause the person to enter in to a state of depression. After hair loss, the person acquires a state called 'baldness'.
Now baldness can be of many types: Androgenic alopecia is noticeable in adult males, and is caused due to a strong hormone, Alopecia areata is the loss of hair from one particular location. Therefore it is also called 'spot baldness', Traction alopecia is found in people who pull their hair with much force while tying ponytails, knots or buns, Alopecia totalis occurs when there is not a single hair on the head, Alopecia universalis occurs when there is loss of hair both from head and body. Total baldness is more prevalent among men than women.
Hair loss occurs due to the following causes -
1. Prolonged illness
2. A major surgery
3. Stress in daily life
4. Hormonal imbalance (hypo and hyperthyroidism, when hormones like androgens and estrogens go out of balance). Due to hormonal imbalance only women lose hair after pregnancy.
5. Impact of medicines (contraceptive pills, medicines for heart problems, gout, and high blood pressure may cause hair loss).
6. Dandruff and other fungal infections affecting the scalp.
7. Treating hair with chemicals during perms, hot oil often leads to inflammation of hair follicle, and the result may be hair fall.
8. Underlying disease like diabetes
9. Genetic cause
10. Poor blood circulation
1. Shampoo made out of natural products like Amla and Shikakai can strengthen hair follicle and reduce hair fall.
2. Massaging the scalp thoroughly with coconut oil or mustard oil three times in a week can help. Even the usage of Amla oil or Mahabhringraj oil can prove beneficial.
3. Applying a paste of black beans and fenugreek on the scalp an hour before hair wash can be useful.
4. Licorice extracts mixed with milk can induce hair growth.
5. A paste of lemon seeds and black pepper if applied on bald patches can cause hair growth.
6. Massaging the scalp with coconut oil mixed with lime juice can reduce hair fall.
7. A mixture of lettuce and spinach juice, or a mixture of carrot and alfalfa juice can prove good hair inductive drinks.
8. Intake of leafy vegetables, sprouted beans, cereals, milk, vitamin A rich diet, and avoiding constipation by including fibers in diet can also prevent hair fall.
9. Applying a mixture of honey and egg yolk on the scalp an hour before hair wash can prove a good remedy.
10. Rubbing the bald areas with onion can help.
11. Rubbing the scalp and hair roots vigorously during wash is an easy remedy. It promotes blood circulation.
12. A mixture of mustard oil boiled with Mehendi leaves, if constantly applied on bald areas, can induce hair growth.
13. Applying coconut milk over the scalp can help.
14. Massaging roots with castor oil can reduce hair fall.
15. Coriander leaf juice can prove beneficial.
16. A paste made out of cinnamon powder, honey, and hot olive oil can prove a good natural remedy for hair loss.
17. Rinsing hair with apple cider vinegar and chamomile can check hair fall.
18. Rosemary and nettles can check hair loss due to fungal infection of scalp.