Hypothyroidism is a common medical condition caused due to low secretion of hormones, thyroxin (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) by the thyroid gland. The deficiency of the hormones occurs firstly due to the inflammation of the thyroid gland that causes the destruction of some cells of the gland. The damaged cells become incapable of producing hormones, thus lowering the production. The condition is referred to as autoimmune thyroiditis.
Apart from this, the other causes of hypothyroidism may be surgical removal of a part of the gland, radioactive treatments causing cell damage, low production of TSH or thyroid stimulating hormones by the pituitary gland. Due to hypothyroidism, the metabolic functions of the body are disturbed much. The main symptoms of hypothyroidism are as following:
2. Dry, scaly skin
3. Rough, coarse hair
4. Rough, hoarse voice
5. Loss of energy
6. Physical weakness
7. Marked weight gain
9. Loss of memory
10. Hair loss
12. Cold intolerance
14. Abnormal menstrual cycles
15. Decreased libido
16. Muscle cramps
17. Joint aches
18. Bradycardia or low heart rate
19. Brittle finger nails
21. Decrease in sweating
23. Increased need of sleep
24. Pale, yellowish skin
1. Natural sea salt and other food items rich in iodine like yoghurt, fish, egg, parsley, potato, banana etc should be consumed in increased quantity.
2. Selenium supplements can improve thyroid functioning.
3. Food cooked in coconut oil is beneficial for thyroid. Coconut oil also helps in shedding off extra fat.
4. Bladderwrack, a sea weed is rich in minerals like iodine, magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc, iron. It stimulates the thyroid gland.
5. Intake of alcohol and smoking should be avoided.
6. Food items like soybean, peanut, millets, broccoli, spinach weaken thyroid functioning, and should be avoided.
7. Primrose oil improves thyroid health.
8. Siberian ginseng restores thyroid functioning.
9. Spirulina is a widely used natural remedy to treat hypothyroidism.
10. Mullein is helpful in reducing inflammation of thyroid gland.
11. Intake of vitamin B complex and food rich in vitamin A can tackle hypothyroidism.
12. Black cohosh and agnus castus are effective thyroid regulators.
13. Black walnut and irish moss can strengthen thyroid functioning.
14. Nettle, a natural herb can treat thyroid problems effectively.
15. Starchy food should be avoided.
16. Brisk walk, light exercise and healthy life style are essential.
17. The patient should keep away from stress.