Hyperthyroidism is a disorder that occurs due to abnormal functioning of thyroid gland, located in the front part of the neck, just around the wind pipe. The gland becomes overactive, and this leads to the over production of thyroid hormones, T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxin). The disorder is also termed as G rave's disease. Over secretion of TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone) by pituitary glands, excessive intake of iodine rich food, intake of thyroid hormones, inflammation of thyroid glands can lead to hyperthyroidism.
Cases of hyperthyroidism are rare, affecting one percent of the population. Women aged between 20-40 years generally suffer from this disorder than men mainly due to any severe emotional stress or some physical infections.
1. Weight loss
7. Much sweating
8. Frequent bowel movements
9. Heat intolerance
11. Joint pain
12. Loss of concentration
1. Regular diet should be rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins and calories that include cereals, sprouted pulses, meat, eggs, fish and poultry.
2. Yellow fruits like mango, papaya must also be taken regularly as these are stuffed with vitamins.
3. Consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol should be reduced.
4. Supplements of Gamma - amino butyric acid are helpful in treating the nervousness due to hyperthyroidism.
5. One should include raw cabbage, broccoli, kale and cauliflower as they are helpful in suppressing the thyroxin production.
6. Primrose oil can help to nourish the thyroid glands.
7. Vitamin B complex energizes the functioning of thyroid glands.
8. Citrus fruits rich in Vitamin C are also helpful.
9. Gypsywort herb can reduce the over activity of the thyroid glands.
10. A mixture of wine vinegar, paste of oak bark, and root of male fern can act as an emollient balm on the throat.
11. Green supplements like spirulina, chlorella containing iodine regulates the metabolic function of the endocrine glands.
12. Oil from the seeds of evening primrose, black currant and borage are rich in essential fatty acids that help in improving the immune response system.
13. A paste of turmeric is also useful as an anti inflammatory agent.
14. Lemon balm and Bugle are other beneficial herbs to treat the disorder.
15. Zinc, calcium, magnesium, copper, silicon can function as effective gland care agents.
16. Iceland moss energizes thyroid functioning.
17. Drinking of dandelion root tea can aid in digestion, and regulate thyroid functioning.
18. Inhaling a mixture of essential oils has been effective in treating hyperthyroidism. A mixture of lavender and rosemary oil is very good as it soothes the nerves.