Scabies is a parasitic infection of skin caused by mites that dig in to the upper layer of the skin surface. The parasite causing this skin infection is named as Sarcoptes Scabiei. It is an eight-legged crawling parasite. The infection is characterized by wavy lines on the surface of skin, tiny nodules, pustules, reddish blisters that are highly itchy. Under severe conditions, scaly, thickened crusts containing thousands of mites may occur. This form of scabies is known as crusted scabies or Norwegian scabies.
Hinges and crevices of the body such as waist, genital areas, in between the fingers, buttocks, elbow, toe, feet, armpit, under the breasts in woman, are prone to scabies. People with weak immune system, impoverished and people suffering from malnutrition easily fall prey to the attack of the mites. The body becomes allergic to attack, resulting in scabies. This skin infection is highly contagious and spreads through close, direct contact or touch. Scratching of the affected area may lead to its spreading to other parts of the body. The problem of itching worsens at night.
1. Thread like line on skin, usually 3 to 10mm long.
2. The shaky line may have tiny dark specs at one end.
3. Burrows and drills may occur in the form of bumps and nodules
4. Reddish scars.
5. Excessive itching that may cause the skin to crack, developing deep lesions.
1. Neem oil has antibacterial properties. It is an excellent home remedy for reducing rashes and redness of skin. It makes the skin less prone to further infection.
2. Terpinen-4, a substance contained in tea tree oil is capable of destroying the scabies parasite. It acts as a natural disinfectant for skin.
3. A blend of sulfur and petroleum jelly can have a soothing effect on itchy skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Another useful home remedy for scabies is garlic. It is an effective antibiotic agent.
5. Primrose oil is a beneficial remedy for any skin infection.
6. A paste made out of calendula or comfrey leaves can function as a soothing balm.
7. Zinc supplements should be taken because zinc helps a lot in repair of damaged tissues.
8. Goldenseal has antibiotic effect on skin.
9. Consumption of food items like sugar, refined and processed food, flour and dairy products should be reduced. Such items weaken the body's immune system.
10. Intake of balanced diet could be helpful.
11. Witch hazel can also soothe the skin irritation. It has antiseptic properties.
12. Clove, germanium, rosemary, tansy and anise seed applications are good natural remedies for scabies.