Hyperthyroidism results due to the hyperactivity of the thyroid glands present in the neck region. Thyroid glands produce the hormone thyroxin, a vital hormone in the endocrine system of the body that controls and regulates various physiological functions. It is just the opposite of Hypothyroidism where the Thyroxin hormone is produced in excess resulting in an accelerated metabolism in the body. Excess secretion of Thyroxin results in a condition called thyrotoxicosis which is the underlying cause of the Grave's disease, an autoimmune disease. Hyperthyroidism is not that common as hypothyroidism.
1. Excessive loss in body weight
2. Signs of irritability and nervousness
3. Sleep disturbances leading to insomnia
4. Low menstrual flow
5. Poor skin and hair becomes brittle
6. Excessive sweating, fatigue followed by gastro intestinal disorders
1. Grave's disease, an auto immune disease causes the stimulation of thyroids producing excess thyroxin.
2. Inflammation of the thyroid gland due to radiation therapy.
3. Tumor in the pituitary gland.
4. Adenoma in the thyroid gland producing excess thyroxin.
5. Use of certain drugs.
Hyperthyroidism can be cured naturally by making some useful alterations in the regular diet and adopting some physical exercises.
1. Adding lots of cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, kales, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens etc. help in lowering the activity of thyroid glands.
2. Strictly avoiding nicotine, cutting down dairy products and carbonated fizzy drinks helps in controlling hyperthyroidism, as these food substances alter the metabolic rates of the body triggering hyperthyroidism.
3. Taking citrus fruits rich in Vitamin C lowers the hyperactivity of the thyroid glands, as Vitamin C being powerful antioxidant destroys the free radicals released in hyperthyroidism and controls the disease.
4. Herbal teas like green tea and lemon balm are very effective in treating hyperthyroidism.
5. Lots of fruit juices must be taken as they supply the body the required vitamins to provide energy reducing the fatigue ness of the body.
6. Refined and processed foods must be strictly avoided by the person suffering from Hyperthyroidism.
7. Seaweeds rich in iodine help in controlling the hyperthyroidism.
8. Another useful home remedy for hyperthyroidism is the herb Bugleweed. It reduces the production of thyroxin from thyroid glands and helps in curing hyperthyroidism.
9. Motherwort herb has also proved to be beneficiary in controlling the hyperactivity of the thyroid glands.
10. The herb Prunella vulgaris also helps in suppressing the thyroxin production.
11. Chinese acupuncture treatment also works well in curing hyperactivity of thyroid glands.
12. Persons suffering from hyperthyroidism must take regular exercises along with proper rest. Emotional stress and tensions must be avoided strictly.