Often one experiences severe pain, bleeding and burning sensations in the rectum when passing stool. This may be due to Hemorrhoids (piles), a condition where the internal anal veins become varicose and stretched and gets ruptured resulting in those painful symptoms and bleeding.
Hemorrhoids can be internal or external. The external ones can be seen and felt as they form soft bluish lumps around the anal region and are painful. The internal hemorrhoids are mostly painless but are followed by bleeding. Another type known as the prolapsed hemorrhoid is also an internal hemorrhoid that protrudes out of the anus followed by severe pain and bleeding with mucous discharge.
Symptoms accompanying hemorrhoids are -
1. Painful bowel movement with occasional bleeding.
2. Formation of blood clots and lumps outside the anal region.
3. Frequent urge for defecation even when there is no stool.
1. Wrong food habits leading to constipation.
2. Irregular toilet habits often suppressing the urge of defecation.
3. Putting too much strain in passing stool.
5. Food allergies
6. Ulcerative colitis may also result in hemorrhoids.
7. The growing uterus in pregnancy exerts pressure on the anal veins causing hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids or piles can be treated naturally unless the condition is too serious that may call for surgical interventions. Change in the lifestyle and food habits followed by simple home and herbal remedies have excellent effects in Hemorrhoid treatment.
1. Drinking plenty of water and fluids hydrates the large intestine facilitating smooth bowel movement.
2. Including fiber rich food like green and leafy vegetables and fruits is a must as these prevent constipation. Regular consumption of Psyllium husks, a natural fiber aids in smooth bowel movement and prevents hemorrhoids.
3. Fried food, meat and other foods that cause constipation must be strictly avoided.
4. Regular toilet habits should be maintained to develop the reflex of defecation.
5. Applying Aloe Vera gel on the anal region gives a soothing effect and reduces the pain. It is an effective home remedy for hemorrhoids.
6. Topical application of the Witch hazel ointments also helps in reducing the pain, itching as well as the swelling.
7. Herbal tea made out of Butcher's Broom if taken is effective in Hemorrhoid treatment. The herb can be applied as a compress to get relief from the pain.
8. One of the effective home remedies for hemorrhoids is the herb Horse chestnut. It is beneficial in treating piles as it improves the blood circulation strengthening the blood vessels and reducing swelling and inflammation.
9. The ayurvedic formulation of Triphala is an excellent constipation reliever that helps in reducing the problems of piles or hemorrhoids.
10. Regular physical exercises and yoga postures should be adopted to reduce obesity as well as to treat hemorrhoids.