The term colitis refers to the chronic inflammation of the inner lining of the digestive tract especially in the colon (large intestine) and rectum. Colitis can affect people of all ages causing unbearable pain and discomfort in the bowel movement. All the digested food and the wastes are collected in colon which facilitates the elimination of these wastes through bowel movements. Water and the electrolytes present in the wastes are absorbed by the inner layers of the colon or mucosa solidifying the faeces. Due to several causes this movement of the wastes and absorption of electrolytes gets hampered resulting in irritable bowel movements.
1. Acute abdominal pain and cramps.
2. Bleeding in the rectum followed by diarrhea.
3. Unable to perform the bowel movement in spite of urgency.
4. Fever along with symptoms of infection.
Colitis may result due to various infections and inflammations.
1. Infection in the colon can be caused due to the virus and bacteria through different food. Shigella, E.coli and Clostridium are some bacteria responsible for the infections.
2. Narrowing of the arteries due to atherosclerosis can restrict the blood flow in the colon causing inflammation.
3. Due to some mechanical reasons the blood flow may get restricted and result in bowel disorders.
4. The autoimmune disease, ulcerative colitis also causes inflammation of the colon.
Simple but effective home remedies for colitis are summarized as follows:
1. Taking thick gruel of rice along with buttermilk and ripe bananas provides the nutrition and is a very effective home remedy for colitis.
2. The probiotics or the beneficial bacteria present in the gut aids in reducing inflammation and controlling the disease colitis.
3. Fish oil rich in omega-3 fatty acids are very effective in reducing inflammation in ulcerative colitis.
4. Another home remedy for colitis is cabbage. Juice of cabbage is effective in reducing inflammation of the colon.
5. Taking few glasses of buttermilk is a very good treatment for colitis. Buttermilk contains beneficial bacteria that help in reducing the intestinal infections.
6. One of the useful home remedies for colitis is the herb Boswelia. The resin of Boswelia is beneficial in treating colitis as it prevents the unwanted chemical reactions that cause inflammation.
7. One must avoid meat, junk food, processed and refined foods as these may aggravate the symptoms of colitis. Smoking and drinking must be avoided strictly.
8. Too much spicy foods rich in chilies may raise the irritation in colon and create problem in bowel movements.
9. Taking papaya with garlic or peppermint is helpful in healing the colitis and also improves the digestive function.
10. Food rich in protein must be taken as this helps in strengthening the muscular walls and ligaments of the colon facilitating smooth bowel movement.
11. Practicing yoga postures also help in proper functioning of the colon.