Cataracts develop when the natural lens located inside the eye becomes opaque and the person faces blurred vision. The lens is constituted of water and protein, and with age the nature of the protein gets altered reducing the clarity of vision. This is considered to be a normal event of aging as this condition is prevalent among the aged, but some serious or chronic illness may hasten the development of cataracts. Cataracts develop slowly affecting one eye or both and people are mostly caught unaware of this development unless there is significant deterioration of vision. Roughly 60% of the people above 60 face this problem of cataract.
Aging is the main cause for the cataract development. Other possible causes are as follows:
1. Prolonged suffering from diabetes and hypertension.
2. Excessive exposure to ultra violet light.
3. Prolonged use of medicines belonging to the statin group.
4. Excessive smoking.
1. Blurred and clouded vision
2. Sensitivity to bright lights
3. One sees halos around the lights
4. Frequent changing of eye glasses and contact lens
5. Double vision
6. Problem in vision specially at nights
The most conventional ways of curing cataracts are by means of surgical removal of the lens and replacing it internally or by a pair of thick glasses. Microsurgery, placing intra ocular lens and FECO surgery are carried out extensively involving minimum risks. But the natural cures can also go a long way in treating the cataracts.
1. The diet should include enough quantities of carrots either in raw form in salads, soups or by drinking carrot juice. The beta carotene present in carrots is very useful in strengthening the eye muscles required for good vision.
2. Washing the eyes several times with the decoction of coriander leaves helps in fast recovery from the cataracts.
3. Application of the paste of the bark of the Babool tree externally on the eyelids is effective home remedy in healing cataract.
4. Taking few grams of aniseeds daily in the morning helps in maintaining the clarity of the lens preventing it from turning into opaque.
5. Vegetables like fenugreek, okra, pumpkin, drumsticks and spinach are good for cataracts.
6. Fruits like yellow bananas, apples, pomegranates, grapes are also helpful for the healthy eyes.
7. Performing some eye exercises regularly also improves the circulation and is good for healthy eyes.
8. Juices of parsley and carrots must be taken regularly as a home remedy for cataracts.
9. Application of the juice of pumpkin flowers on the eyelids for fifteen minutes is effective home remedy in treating cataracts.
10. Chewing 2-3 cloves of garlic daily cleans the crystallization of the eye lens.
11. Grinding few kernels of almonds and pepper in water and taking it regularly is very good for the health of the eyes.