Among all the respiratory diseases, Asthma has affected millions of people worldwide irrespective of age and gender. This chronic ailment results due to the inflammation of the respiratory tracts, which often gets clogged with mucous that results in tremendous breathing problems and chest spasms in the patient. Asthma is characterized by its recurrences on suitable conditions and if not controlled, may be life threatening. Allergic asthma and non-allergic asthma are the two types of Asthma and the patients who are chronic to allergic asthma must keep away from the allergens as far as possible. Studies reveal that there is a direct link between the polluted air and the asthma, as people residing in polluted environments are more prone towards allergic Asthma especially the children.
Most commonly observed symptoms of Asthmatic attack are -
1. Breathlessness and wheezing
2. Cold and cough
3. Chest congestion due to accumulation of phlegm
Exposure to certain allergens or allergy causing factors is the underlying cause of asthma, though the exact reasons are still unknown. Series of reactions of the body immunity system to antigens or foreign bodies initiates the symptoms of asthma. The allergens or triggers vary with individuals some of which are -
1. Inhalation of polluted air
2. Dust mites
3. Pollen grains
4. Upper respiratory tract infections
5. Some food items
6. Exposure to severe cold conditions
7. Emotional stress
In treating Asthma the natural treatments that include home and herbal remedies have always proved to be the best than using the inhalers or other broncho-dilators. These followed by regular workouts can drive off the disease for ever.
1. Taking few leaves of basil with honey daily in the morning is a good home remedy for asthma.
2. Fruits rich in Vitamin C and other vitamins boost the body immunity system that helps to fight against asthma.
3. Chewing a mixture of basil leaves with black pepper provides temporary relief from the asthmatic attacks. This is a useful home remedy for asthma.
4. The herb Gingko Biloba contains ginkgolide B that helps in reducing the frequency of asthmatic attacks.
5. Taking a mixture of lemon juice and ginger once in a day is very effective in treating asthma.
6. One of the effective home remedies for asthma is turmeric. Mixture of a teaspoonful of honey with turmeric if taken orally gives good results in the treatment of Asthma.
7. Tea prepared from mullein oil clears the congestion in the respiratory tract.
8. Salmon fish or other fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids are highly beneficial in treating asthma.
9. Taking a mixture of 1 teaspoon of bitter melon root paste with equal amounts of honey or basil leaf juice is an excellent expectorant that clears chest congestion.