Pink Eye or Conjunctivitis is caused due to some allergic reaction or when some virus or bacteria attacks the conjunctiva. Conjunctiva consists in the inner surface of the eye lids, and outermost layer of the eye. When conjunctivitis occurs, eye usually becomes red, there is a discharge of yellowish liquid from the eye, eyelids become inflamed, and there is much itching and pain in the eyes. At times the discharge accumulates over eyelids, and on drying up, make the eyelids sticky. One should remember that pink eye is highly contagious, and therefore should wear goggles to avoid spreading of the infection, stop sharing pillows, towels and handkerchiefs, and change bed covers and handkerchief frequently.
1. Allergic conjunctivitis occurs when the immune system of the body starts reacting to allergens like moulds, pollens, dust, smoke, perfumes, other cosmetics and even some eye drops.
2. Viral conjunctivitis occurs when some virus infects the inner membranes of the eye. It is usually associated with common cold, sore throat and respiratory track infections.
3. Bacterial conjunctivitis is caused by the attack of bacteria like staphylococcus, pneumococcus, streptococcus, and chlamydia.
4. Chemical conjunctivitis is caused when the eye comes in contact with some toxin.
1. Rose oil is very useful for treating pink eye.
2. Eye Bright extracts are a very old remedy for treating any eye problem.
3. Oregon grape juice relieves itching due to conjunctivitis.
4. Boiling marigold plant leaves in water and using it as an eye wash would give some relief.
5. Chamomile flower tea bag if kept in moist form over the affected eye can help.
6. Infusion made out of 60 ml water and dried coriander can reduce the itching.
7. Diet rich in Vitamin A and B2 can help to fight conjunctivitis. Thus one should include carrot, pumpkin, almonds, butter, tomato, milk, curd, corianders etc in his or her diet.
8. Spinach juice mixed with carrot juice is highly beneficial to treat conjunctivitis.
9. Aloe Vera juice diluted with water when applied to the eyes, can give relief from pain and burning sensation.
10. Fresh castor oil in very small amounts if smeared along the eyelids reduces the irritation and the flaky swelling. Care should be taken that the oil does not go into the eyes.
11. Fresh juice from mint leaves is useful in reducing pink eye problem.
12. Even Rose Water mixed with distilled water can function, as a useful eye wash.