The term 'fibromyalgia' comes from the Latin 'fibro' which means fibrous, Greek 'myo' means muscle and Greek 'algos' means pain. It therefore refers to a disorder causing acute muscle ache and pain of the connective, fibrous tissues. The disease is considered to be skeletomuscular and psychoneurotic in nature.
The root of the disorder lies in the malfunctioning of the central nervous system that causes inflammation of tissues. An accident followed by repetitive injuries, emotional stress and other traumatic conditions, autoimmune diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, weather change, noise are factors that can function as stimuli for the pain. Genetic factors may also lead to fibromyalgia. Women are attacked by the disease in larger percentage when compared to males. Necks, buttocks, hips, upper back, shoulders, arms, elbows, chest, back of heads and numerous other tender pressure points of the body are affected by the pain.
1. Severe pain
2. Muscle spasms when touched
6. Irritable bowel syndrome
7. Abdominal pain
8. Frequent urination
9. Tingling sensation in different parts of the body
10. Inflammation of intestine
11. Numbness of limbs
13. Painful urination
14. Spastic colon
15. Mood swings
17. Disturbed sleep
18. Poor concentration
19. Difficulty in swallowing
20. Joint stiffness
1. Bromalain, an enzyme in pineapple acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
2. Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties. It is an effective remedy for fibromyalgia.
3. Staying away from food items that function as allergen will help.
4. Sugar, dairy products, food containing colors and preservatives, junk food, refined food items, alcohol and caffeine should be avoided. These items stop the immune system from functioning properly.
5. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and even vegetables in raw state should be included in diet.
6. Cold processed flax-oil used in baked food, salads and food containing Omega3 fatty acids should be taken, because they strengthen our immune system against pain stimuli.
7. Curcumin contained in turmeric can improve painful, inflammatory conditions.
8. Willow bark extracts can also give the same kind of relief.
9. Light exercise and massage improves blood circulation in body, thereby lessening the symptoms.
10. Plenty of water should be drunk to cleanse the system.
11. The patient should keep away from stress.
12. Drinking of coconut water and coconut milk can give relief from pain.
13. Massaging the affected muscles with warm vinegar and olive oil can help a lot.
14. A mixture of ripe cherry cooked in jaggery or butter could be drunk to get some relief.
15. Another useful remedy for fibromyalgia is the seeds of papaya. A paste of raw papaya seeds may be applied on the painful joints. It is an effective natural remedy for fibromyalgia.