Ayurveda is the oldest science of medicine aimed at curing ailment and teaching humans the way to keep healthy and live long and happy. It is one of the most valuable gifts to the world by the sages of ancient India. Ayurveda considers the human body to be a microcosm of the entire universe, and looks upon body as a composition of the Pancha Mahabhoots (agni, jal, vayu, pritvi, byom). Thus according to ayurveda, our body is governed by the laws of nature, as it is composed of all five natural elements (fire, water, air, earth and sky). Any imbalance in the composition gives rise to doshas-pitta, vat, and kaph. These doshas are responsible for the physical and mental traits and temperaments of individuals. They, in other words, regulate the mental and physical health of man. The preponderance of any of the doshas may lead to ailments that can however be healed through natural ingredients, herbs and extracts that will help in keeping the natural elements composing the body, in perfect balance.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Diseases and Conditions
1. Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder may be taken with warm water. This will relieve joint pains due to arthritis.
2. A raw clove of garlic fried in ghee or castor oil is an effective remedy for arthritis.
3. Bitter gourd juice is a good remedy for diabetes.
4. Fenugreek seeds are highly beneficial for bringing down blood sugar level. Soak one teaspoon fenugreek seeds in water over night, and drink the water and eat the seeds next morning in empty stomach.
5. Drinking coconut water three to four times a day can minimize heart burns or acidity.
6. A person suffering from acidity may put a tiny piece of jaggery or gur in mouth, and slowly suck it until acidity subsides. This provides immediate relief.
7. A mixture of seven grounded black pepper balls and a teaspoon of honey may be taken every morning to get relief from nasal congestion.
8. Swallowing half a slice garlic and clove with a glass of luke-warm water can loosen the mucous membrane and give relief from headache due to cold.
9. A paste made out of the bark of babul (acacia Arabica) tree may be consumed to minimize diarrhea symptoms.
10. An infusion made out of banyan (ficus bengalensis) buds soaked in water can be drunk every morning in empty stomach to get relief from frequent passing of loose motion.
11. Drinking of castor oil can give relief from constipation.
12. Bael (aegle marmelos) fruit has laxative properties and can effectively flush out intestines, thereby treating constipation.
13. A mixture of 100 gram grounded melon seed powder and poppy seed (khus- khus) may be taken every morning to keep blood pressure under check.
14. Taking 2-3 slices of garlic daily can reduce blood pressure.
15. Alfalfa is an effective herb in cleansing arteries congested with cholesterol.
16. The bark of arjuna (terminalia arjuna) may be used in powdered form. It is helpful in dissolving cholesterol that accumulates in coronary artery, thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks.
17. Calamus root may be taken along with brahmi to treat insomnia.
18. Peppermint herb is also beneficial for treating the problem of insomnia.
19. Valerian root extracts if taken at night daily, can help to get rid of depression.
20. Ashwagandha tincture also relieves stress and anxiety.
21. Herbs like shilajit, gotu kola, amalaki may be used in powdered form to reduce body weight.
22. Honey helps in lipid metabolism and can tackle the problem of obesity.
23. Betel juice has analgesic properties and may be applied on forehead to get relief from headache.
24. Bishop weed extracts can give immediate relief from severe headache.
25. Massaging scalp with honey and lemon juice does away with hair fall due to dandruff.
26. Kumkumadi lepam, an ointment may applied on pimples for faster healing and drying.
27. A paste of jeera or cumin seeds may be applied on pimples. It also helps in healing.
28. A mixture of red sandal wood or rakta chandan dust and turmeric is beneficial for any type of skin care.
This is a brief list of some very common ailments that most human beings suffer from. But ayurveda is something which cannot be discussed through lists and short paragraphs. It is quite vast a subject, and is potent enough to cure even major human ailments.